In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
COLORADO MUSLIM SOCIETY
2071 South Parker Road
Denver, CO 80231
Phone: (303) 696-9800
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Iman Jodeh, Spokesperson, Colorado Muslim Society
Voice/Text Phone Number:
Iman Jodeh: 720-608-1882
State-Wide Muslim Response to Anti-Muslim Rally
For Immediate Release
We stand against anti-Muslim, xenophobic and racist policies and rhetoric. Unfortunately, Denver is one of the cities for a rally organized by ACT for America, which the Southern Poverty Law Center calls the largest grassroots anti-Muslim group in the United States. These rallies are occurring during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, and seek to vilify Muslims and strike fear in the hearts of Americans that Shariah Law is coming to the US at a time of heightened anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant sentiment in the United States. These events are planned in 28 cities around the nation, including ours, on June 10th.
This fear mongering that is designed to inflame bigotry. This is not a rally against Shariah, it’s a rally against Muslims, which is why it is being held during Ramadan and why the social media pages of these events are filled with bigotry and threats of violence against Muslim communities/our community. Below are just a few examples:
- On May 11, Todd Adam Wyman wrote, “Why don’t we all just go to Dearborn, MI, and take our country back? Since when did any of us vote for Sharia Law to be allowed. It should be a crime. ”
- On a May 6 comment, Debi Baker Whitelaw wrote, “I agree! The USA is a Judeo/Christian nation and the Muslim nations want to destroy Israel and us.” Sharon Cromwell followed it up with, “We need to reclassify Islam [sic] as a terrorist hate group, not a religion. It is an evil ideology invented by a murderous, insane pedophile!!!”
- Talking about Muslims in a comment Maryann Gallardo wrote, “Like a cancer in the body they are a cancer to our Nation [sic].”
- Sherine Elgammal posted on May 16 “Muslim men are brought up with cravings of rape, child sex, and sex slaves, etc.” Sam Bishop described Muslims as “maggots” in a post. Poindexter McBean followed up with “Even maggots have purpose in science.”
To that end, the Muslim community, not only in Denver, but Nationwide, has coordinate multi-state efforts to peacefully respond to these bigoted rallies by simply opening our doors to meet our community and visiting mosques during the holiest time of the year, Ramadan.
- We won’t stand for hate groups threatening members of our community.
- We reject racism and fear mongering.
- We will show up for everyone, because we believe that all people have the right to live their lives without fear of persecution.
- In the spirit of Ramadan, we will recommit ourselves to diversity, acceptance, resilience, and compassion for people of all faiths and backgrounds.
- Religious freedom is enshrined in our Constitution. It is a core American value to protect the right of worship for Muslims and all religious groups.
- We will speak out against the unjust targeting and discrimination of people because of their skin color, their faith, or where they were born.
- We are stronger when we come together, and we won’t let hate divide us.
Below is a list of all the events hosted by the Muslim community across Colorado on Saturday to stand in solidarity with our peace-loving neighbors.
- Northeast Denver Islamic Center is hosting a mosque open house inviting the community to learn more about and meet their Muslim neighbors from 1:00-5:00 PM at 3400 Albion Street, Denver, CO.
- Metropolitan Denver North Islamic Center of Northglenn is hosting their 3rd Annual Ramadan Experience inviting the local community to come experience Ramadan and the breaking of fast with their Muslim neighbors from 6:30-9:00 PM. Learn more and RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2sZtIYJ.
- Multicultural Mosaic Foundation of Aurora has sold out of their Ramadan Iftar with Panel on Women in Islam: Oppression vs Liberation event from 6:45 to 8:30 PM. Learn more here: http://bit.ly/2rRqhEn.
- Islamic Center of Boulder in collaboration with Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA) Colorado invite community members to break fast with Muslim neighbors at the mosque from 7:00-9:00 PM. Learn more and RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2rb0yEO.
- Colorado Muslim Community Center of Aurora in collaboration with Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA) Colorado invite community members to break fast with Muslim neighbors at the mosque from 7:00-9:00 PM. Learn more and RSVP here: http://bit.ly/2rb0yEO.
- Letters in support of our Muslim neighbors – A letter writing campaign to send messages of solidarity, support, and love to the mosques throughout the state of Colorado by our non-Muslim neighbors. Learn more here: http://bit.ly/2s9gkVM.
Please note: The Colorado Muslim Society has decided to not to host a counter event due to number of worshipers and concern for safety this weekend. However, a future event may be planned with other mosques and the interfaith community.
– END –